Thank You for purchasing the FlightDeck7c. Please take a minute to read the following. These are the answers to common questions from my customers and make the use of the instrument much easier.
- Device has independent variometer module inside with its own battery, SDcard, IGC logger, speaker, button interface, web user interface, file transfer service and UAT/FLARM/ADSB/LORA circuits (optional).
- UAT/ADSB options are receivers only so You can see traffic around You. There is no option to transmit on these frequencies. Traffic from standing on the surface aircrafts is not processed and is not shown on the flying apps.
- FLARM transceiver (Rx/Tx) solution is global, it adjusts frequencies based on Your gps location. Lifetime license is applied.
- Both tablet and variometer module can be independently turned ON and OFF.
- Battery life of variometer module is between 10-30hours (depending on speaker volume, Wi-Fi/BT telemetry bridge connections, optional circuits, very cold temperatures).
- Battery life for FlightDeck7C is between 8-15hours (depending on display brightness, cellular/Wi-Fi/BT network connections).
- FlightDeck7c android device has its own set of stereo speakers mounted on the back.
- To turn ON variometer module please hold variometer module power button for 1 sec. To turn it OFF please hold the same button for 3 sec. Both turning ON and OFF will be confirmed by voice announcement.
- Internal variometer module will announce its battery status, GPS status, logger status, Web/FTP status by voice.
- Variometer module uses fusion of gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer/barometric sensors. Variometer sound might be more erratic when compared to old varios based on barometric sensor only. Web interface and settings adjustment can dampen this behavior.
- To increase global audio volume please click Power/Volume button, to decrease audio volume please click Fn button.
- FlightDeck7C is based on Android 8.1. There is an internal hardwired connection between variometer module and tablet logic.
- There are two options of battery charging: USBC and barrel type plug. Both can accommodate standard USB chargers up to 5V/2A.
- Tablet battery and variometer module battery are independent, but will charge at the same time. Tablet battery charges within 4-5hours, variometer battery charges within 5-8hours (using 5V/2A USB charger).
- If mobile/4G connection is needed, additional purchase of SIM card/data plan is required. SIM card adapter is included with device.
- Device gets warm during normal operation, which is normal.
- Full brightness (1300-1400 nits) of the display discharges internal battery within 8hours run time. Screen is also visible well between 80-90% brightness level, which will also increase battery life.
- Internal variometer module will shutdown automatically (option is enabled by default) after 30min of less then +/-1m/s movement. It will also shut down after 30min when in Web/FTP service mode.
- To access variometer module configuration webpage the Web/FTP service has to be enabled (hold Fn button for 3sec). Module will broadcast its own Wi-Fi network “goflyxxxxxx” with default password “12345678”. Connect any tablet/PC/smartphone to this network, open Web browser and enter 192.168.4.1 address. Firefox browser is supported.
- After using Web interface or FTP service, holding Fn or Power/Volume button will shut down the vario module. Turning it on will load new variometer configuration if some of the settings were adjusted in Web user interface.
- Web service user interface allows to download 5 latest backup IGC files. To access whole internal SD card content, please use FTP client (file transfer protocol client). FTP is accessible through the same address 192.168.4.1 with “gofly”/”golfy” user, password combo.
- When interacting with Web user interface, most options have “?” icon available. Clicking on it will provide quick explanation.
- FlightDeck7C has slot for additional SDcard (next to SIM card slot).
- On the back of the FlightDeck7C there is additional host USB interface, which allows to use flashdrive (if You want to do backup), mouse, or keyboard.
- FlightDeck7c supports well available Bluetooth android remote controllers, which after pairing, will allow touchless interaction with the flying apps XCtrack/XCSoar/LK8000.
- Some flying apps record signed and competition approved IGC logs (XCtrack). These logs are available within app interface or tablet file manager.
- If device has the UAT/FLARM/ADSB/LORA circuits, FlightDeck7C has built in receiver antennas on the bottom side of the device. For best performance please do not place large metal elements, battery banks, or other instruments close to this area.
- If You feel that FlightDeck7c is not robust enough You can add extra corner rubber bumpers to make it more fall resistant.
- Variometer module default settings are:
- Lift threshold: 1m/s
- Sink threshold: -2.5m/s
- Thermal sniffer (80Hz ticks between -0.1m/s and lift threshold): Enabled
- Vario audio style based on chart configuration
- $PTAS telemetry protocol enabled on internal port /dev/ttyMT2 (supported now (June2021) by LK8000 and XCSoar)
- For quick 1 min instructional videos, please visit GoFlyInstruments Youtube channel. I will be posting short “how-to” to quickly answer common user questions.
Web User configuration interface.
After holding Fn button for 3 sec, all variometer related processes will be stopped and variometer module will enable Wi-Fi hotspot “goflyapxxxxxx” with default password “12345678” and enter FTP/Web serving state. Connect to available goflyapxxxxxx Wi-Fi network, open recommended Firefox browser and enter 192.168.4.1 address (gofly.local might also work in some circumstances, OS dependent) . It might take around 30 second to load whole web user interface.
Vario audio chart editor
Other vario settings
Wireless data bridge
Serial/OTG data bridge
Firmware update page
FTP access and file management